After our adventure in Grenoble, Christina and I left our couchsurfers' apartment (almost reluctantly since we had had such an amazing time) and headed to the train station to catch the train to Annecy.
I was excited to get there, everyone who had already been there said it was a beautiful city, and when I told my host family I was going there, they were all super excited - jealous almost, it seemed.
It was a gorgeous day when we arrived, sunny with only a few wispy clouds in the sky. Seeing as we hadn't really eaten breakfast... and by that I actually mean hadn't at all... we were pretty hungry when we arrived just after 11am (keeping in mind we'd woken up at 8). Our first goal was to find some food. We found a boulangerie where we got some bread... as well as an interesting interaction with the woman behind the counter. I wouldn't necessarily say she was trying to be rude, but we definitely were wishing she would take our money a little bit faster so we could leave. She was definitely trying to practice her english on us.. which she wasn't very good at. And then joked with us that it sounded like we talked with cotton in our mouths... thanks? As soon as we'd payed for our bread, and decided to get some flawn (spelling?) too, we found the nearest carrefour where we got some tomatoes, cheese, and turkey to make the rest of our meal. We then set off to find the lake - taking a much longer route than was probably necessary. Eventually, we did find the lake, and found a nice bench to set up our picnic!
With some food in us we were ready to explore the city some more. But first, I wanted a picture with the lake. Partly because the lake was beautiful, and partly because I wanted it acknowledged that I was wearing shortsleeves and no jacket... at least for a bit... which was a nice relief from the temperatures I've been experiencing recently!
We wandered around the little park by the lake for a bit, and then decided that we would rent a pedal boat and go out on the lake!
The water was ridiculously clear.. and shallow too as far as I could tell. I was quite surprised... more by the seeming shallowness than the clearness.
Next idea was to walk around the town. Which is really cute. But also really small.
We even found a street that had a lot going on. Selling lots of food... particularly pig products. Which I found the tiniest bit disturbing since they also had live pigs hanging out there too. Kind of mean, right?
After wandering around for awhile, we decided ice cream sounded like an excellent idea. And considering we had sort of technically gotten lost on the way to the lake... seeing as we realized we definitely didn't take the most direct route there from the train station... keeping with Sackheim tradition seemed like the best thing to do!
We headed back to the park next to the lake to sit and eat our ice cream/ take a break for a little bit. With hours left until it would be time to head back to Lyon, we weren't really sure what to do with ourselves. Yes, Annecy is beautiful, but it just isn't that big and we were running out of ideas of what to do. We remembered people had mentioned something about a castle, so we set out to find that. It was a bit of a disappointment to us though because it was under construction and so we didn't really feel like paying to see more if it wasn't going to be the best it could be. But we did get to see a little more of the city.
After heading back into town again and sitting down for a bit just to people watch, we realized we were both kind of ready to just head back to Lyon. So we headed to the train station and managed to get on a bus two hours earlier than planned, which meant we arrived back in Lyon about the same time we should have originally been leaving Annecy.
Annecy was beautiful, but after two long days of adventuring and meeting new people and not running on a lot of sleep, and me still being a little bit sick, we were both ready to be back in Lyon.
I can't wait until my next travels though! :)
as well as what should actually be a full week of class this week. what a strangeee idea!

No comments:
Post a Comment