My last blog about snow was a joke. When I said it was the first real snow, I evidently didn't know what I was getting into. Here is a picture of my backyard the morning after it snowed ALL DAY LONG.
I'm telling you, this snow was serious business. Do you see that table in the middle of the picture?! And how high that snow is?!
It is no surprise then, that public transportation was seriously affected. Buses stopped running and trams were slowed down. I even had to walk a mile or two after my evening class because the tram decided it wasn't going to go it's entire route. oh fun. not... especially when your feet are wet and you are afraid your toes might fall off.. even if the rest of you is dressed appropriately and therefore not terribly cold.
But as I said, I have started to look for the good things in snow too. Such as how pretty it looks when its fresh (it's kind of gross once everyone's been walking through it so it's all muddy and brown). But I don't think you really appreciate the beauty of snow until you are truly surrounded by it. And I don't just mean because you decided to go to Tahoe to go skiing. When everything around you is blanketed in the stuff, you can appreciate the fact that some places do actually have very different seasons. Though I am already ready for temperatures to start rising above freezing.. but I guess I will have to wait for that.
Other good things about snow? The fact that you get to have snowball fights. It doesn't matter if you are a little kid or a college student, it's still fun. Especially when all of your friends think snow is amazing because no one is accustomed to seeing it in their backyard. (But I might add that it can also be a downfall. The other day some kid hit me in the face with a snowball because he was hiding behind a corner and didn't realize I wasn't his friend until after the snowball had already landed. He did try to apologize realizing he had hit the wrong person, but I just gave him a dirty look and kept walking). When you plan the snowball fights, though, they can be lots of fun. Such as the one Kirstin, Patrick and I had when Patrick and I decided the second half of SLM wasn't worth sticking around for. Or when Kirstin, Patrick, Christina, and I all met at the park for the sole purpose of throwing snow at each other. Leaving with hands and feet frozen (at least for me), we felt our afternoon had been successful.
| frozen hair was involved |
Now you will be able to tell your kids that, when you were young, you had to walk miles through the snow.
ReplyDeleteoooh this is an excellent point
ReplyDelete